M.C

M.C

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wealthy American? I think not.

When seeing just about any American movie, t.v shows or magazine, it's hard to think that the majority of U.S citizens are NOT rich. The United States mostly has children working in sweatshops around the world.... just so we can earn more money. We are a wealthy country but that doesn't mean that I am rich.
Sure, I get all my needs met. I have air conditioning,heat, a bed, a shower, I'm never hungry, I have clothes that meet my needs, I am able to travel... And to most of the world, that is rich. I am so grateful for i, we also have a pretty big house. But, I guess they also get the wrong idea....
I, being a foreign exchange student; people may perceive me as being a wealthy American traveling the world. Well, that's a lie. I got a fully paid scholarship to spend a year in Europe. My family would not have been able to pay otherwise. I have 5 other siblings including a sister who is going through college and just had a wedding (yesterday, actually :). We are always concerned about money.
Europeans don't usually get the idea that all of us are extremely wealthy (at least, I think so). The U.S is very similar in wealth status to western Europe, So I'm presuming I won't have too big of problems with it. And if they get the idea that I'm rich, it's not my fault... kidding... They shouldn't, because I don't wear designer clothing day after day.


Another note, Americans usually visiting Europe are actually wealthy because it costs soooo much to travel there. So, the Americans they are conversing with are, indeed, rich just like many of the Europeans that come here. In a way we're equal... But, this issue shouldn't be so worried about in Germany, like I said.

1 comment:

  1. I think we are still pretty wealthy. In our Anderson home we feel pretty secure.
    Dane and I have been listening to this auto book by Carl Sagan called the Pale Blue Dot. He mentioned how basically all of humans think they were blessed to be put in the circumstances they were put in. LIke we feel blessed to be Americans to be born into the LDS church and to have all the blessing we receive. But others everywhere feel the same way and are told the same thing about their religion; to be Jewish to be of a Native American tribe.
    I had actually thought of that before but it has been years.

    ReplyDelete