M.C

M.C

Friday, June 17, 2011

Global Student Top 10 reasons why I want to study abroad.

So, with the scholarship, AYUSA is telling me I must complete this "Global Student" course before I leave to Germany, while I'm in Germany and when I come home!
I decided I better not procrastinate anymore.... because I seem to be able to do that quite well. My summer is already very busy at the moment, so I better go ahead and do this in my free-time. They gave me 10 reasons and now I must put them in the order I want. This is going hard because I have a hard time choosing sometimes... most the time. Here we go.

1. Learn a language in the country where it is spoken.
I am a firm believer in Americans learning a second language. Ask any American whether they speak a second language fluently. The likely answer is: no. Now ask them whether or not they took a language in high school, probably, yes. It drives me insane. Yes, a lot of people speak it as a second language... but, still... It just helps the stereotype of Americans being ignorant, proud, lazy and not very smart.
When a human learns to speak another language fluently, they not only know another language, they know another culture. As an American I find it extremely important to represent ourselves in good ways. By knowing another language and interacting with those people that speak that language, they will begin to respect you as an American and also a person. I could go on and on but I won't. Ich liebe Deutsch

2. Gain perspective on own country and culture.
When going to another country and experiencing it hands on, you not only learn about their culture but you learn about your own. When comparing Europe to America, we a lot of the time think it's about the same because we're so similar in technologies, dress, food and such. But, what we don't realize is, they have so many differences. Social differences, manner differences, life differences, transportation, style, thinking, what's right and wrong, etc. etc.
Most of the time, seeing the opposite finally helps us realize the real deal.

Sometimes, I feel like I understand the United States... or no, not really. I feel like a understand Utah (that's more like it.) But, I feel like Germany will really open my eyes and help me love people for who they are. I really do think I'll come back with a complete different vision.

3. Travel/Studying abroad is a life altering experience.
I feel as though this exchange will change my perspective on everything. Like, I mentioned in the previous post, this is probably the most courageous thing I'm going to do... and the most "life-altering" one at that. I want to not only grow more intelligent but I want to grow as a person. "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself" - George Bernard Shaw.
This experience will no doubt be life changing and I will talk a little bit more in depth about it in number 5.

4. Experience hands-on learning
This goes with language. What better way to learn a language than when speaking, reading, and hearing it 24/7 for 10 months straight. And what better way to learn culture? history? etc. Hands-on is by far better than any old text book or sitting in a stuffy 70's classroom in Timpview.

5. Learn about self and gain independence
I'm 16 years old. Still young. But, most definitely still growing. When it's time for college I want to be able to be independent. I know I could learn all this stuff at home. But, it's a heck of a lot funner and easier in another country.
Language, culture, and history is what I love. My dream is to work in the foreign service and living in Germany will definitely help me make my decision on that. I will make new friends, learn new things and "create myself".

6. See the world (or at least part of it)
Did I mention I love language, culture and history?... I'm thinking so. But, yes, and again if any of you know me, I absolutely love adventure, being outside, enjoying nature, enjoying architecture, watching humans, listening to humans, learning, Germany, Europe and so on. I love the world. I want to learn so much about it and most definitely travel it and experience it.

7. Make connections that last a lifetime.
It sounds a bit cheesy and kind of stupid. Because, honestly, you can make connections wherever you are, believe it or not, in Provo too. But, it's different when connecting with those of another culture. I can't quite explain it but it's different. Doing this exchange, I will meet so many new people. Not even Germans but those of my fellow American exchange group.

From observation, adults seem to remember the best times of their lives in High School. Or, let me rephrase that; the funnest times of their lives. I could have this in Provo or I could have it in Germany. Take your pick.

8. International travel and study is fun and exciting
I think we all get the idea that it is. New places and new things are always pleasing.

9. Resume builder
This was always a reason. But, it wasn't my top reason. It's just one of those things that is a good plus.
Now, that I think about it... I want to look look on a college application. Not only will it help with any applications but this exchange will help me so much educationally and that will be a huge advantage when taking the ACT or SAT or applying for a job.

10. Programs work with academic programs
I was a bit confused with this one. So, I'm going to interpret it into my own words. No, maybe not.

Well, now that I feel like I've written way too many not-entirely thought through thoughts, I'm going to bed.

Good night Neverland

No comments:

Post a Comment