M.C

M.C

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Families and Train Stations.

So, Meine Liebe!
viel zu viel ist in den lezten Wochen passiert. Nee, nicht zu viel... aber, viel.

I guess you are probably curious to what happened after what happened in my last post. Well, don't you worry because that is exacty what this blog is for! To update you. I'll try to keep it short, but that is somewhat impossible for me, if you haven't already noticed.

So to continue with what ended the last blog post. Host family change. After my ex host parents decided to call my organization telling them that they needed to find me a new host family.... I was utterly confused with what I shoud do. Deep inside I really wanted to give up and just flee back to the good ol' U.S. The other side wanted to just pack my bags and take another risk in going anywhere in Germany. But, let me tell you, this area of Germany has really really grown on me. THe people, the food, my school. Franken... North Bayern. I love it.. I really wanted to stay here for the next 5 months of my exchange. So, I talked to English teacher who happens to be my "betreuer" a.k.a my guiding man. Anyways, after I asked for his help... He really stepped in. He put up notices all over my school saying that, I, McKenna Anderson needed a host family, etc. etc. The next day a family contacted him saying that they were really interested in hosting me.. That same night I met up with them and we just hit it off from there. The Kaufhold family. The dad is an english and p.e teacher at the other gymnasium in Forchheim... literally right next to mine. The daughter, Mona, is exactly my age and has an english class with me. And the mother is just as cool. Which I meant to say in the first place.. they are very cool.

Anyways that was take place on a thursday night. A few days later my program contacted me saying that I could move in the day I got right back from Cologne. That day taking place on this previous Monday.

Which leaves me to tell the tale of Cologne,
It was a Thursday morning, I had packed my 2 enormous suitcases which were needed for my move on monday and to add on top of it, I had to pack for Cologne and clean up all my surroundings.
I did it. But, I actually think I left my Beginning French C.D in the C.D player in my room.. Oh well.
But, here is when it gets fun.
It was the first day in my whole time in Germany when it decided to snow a bit and then to rain right after it. As you can imagine, My host families house settles on an enourmous hill and with that, the sidewalks are made of cobblestones. Somehow I had to get down that hill without missing my bus. with heavy rainboots on my feet, a heavy suitcase in my hand and while trying to hold an umbrella.


Note: If you talk to my parents about things they disliked about living in The Netherlands, one of things on their list would be the cobblestoned streets, when icy.

I had no clue how I was going to get down, because the traction opon the bottom of my shoes were not working the way they should. And slipping while coming down a sleep slope with all the items I had to carry, is not exactly fun.
THen, finally, my brillance entered into my mind. The road upon which cars drive on, was not slippery. So, I hit the road. And ran and ran in order to not miss my bus to the train station. I reached the bus stop just in time. But, what do you know? no bus was coming, and so many thoughts were coming into my mind "did I miss it?" "did it come early, like it often does?" "How in the world am I going to get to the train station, with my host parents all at work?" "should I hitchhike?" "should I ask some stranger to drive me?" and finally the final conclusion came into mind, I was going to have to walk and walk there fast. 3 kilometers in 25 minutes, with my wellingtons, my heavy coat, my heavy bag, while pouring rain.... and ice still layiing upon the cobblestoned sidwalks.
In case your wondering, I did make it. And it was a close one. THe moment I reached my platform, the train arrived.
But, the best part is. The best part is that, while I was fast walking the bus in which I was supposed to take was actually late and drove right past me while I was on my journey.

And now I am going to end this blog post right here. The second and possibly third part will be coming soon. And with pictures!!! hallelujah.
and I also wish to apologize for the horrible english grammar that I write with.




2 comments:

  1. McKenna!!! Call me asap!! I can't believe you had to switch host families!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad everything worked out with a new host family and getting to stay in the same area and the same school! I'll cross my fingers for you that it turns out as well as you're hoping it will. :)

    ReplyDelete