That Thanksgiving day when we celebrated my host mom's dad's 70th birthday. The family and friends sitting, talking, and just having a grand time with another. The little 3 year old niece playing mom/daughter/dentist around the house with the 24 year old nephew's girlfriend, including a baby doll given the name of Lala. Later, the family getting ready for a surprise brass band. And then to top it all off, sons and daughters dressing up as russians, ready to dance and sing like the russians do, just to announce the Moscow vacation present. And through that whole 7 hour ordeal, I thought to myself 'if this isn't nice, I don't know what is'.
The following day, accepting an invitation to dinner by some fellow English 12th graders. Laughing, eating, talking about one another.. and then later being taken home by a girl's dad (yeah, 17 year olds don't actually have their licenses here).. and that dad speaking all the english slang he knew. Afterwards, I told myself, If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.
That wednesday night, when Angi invited me to Mexican food with a few of her friends on behalf of my remark on saying I missed mexican food more than any other food that I was deprivied from. So eating enchiladas and then later sitting in someone's basement, eating cookies, raving over the cutest dog I ever did see and just talking about whatever (even if I didn't understand it all.)... I exclaimed to myself 'if this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'
That whole saturday.. beginning with my 6 mile run, cleaning my room, reading my national geographic in the train and then finally meeting with my Betreuerin (girl who keeps track of how I am doing.. in Germany) in Bamberg to walk around the Bamberg weihnachtsmarkt (christmas market) and then later to find us sitting in a cafe due to the pouring rain outside, drinking hot chocolate and coffee while discussing life being an exchange student, all the problems that come up as an exchange student and just life in general. As, the rain finally came to a stop, she showed me a bit of her university, and we continued just to have a pleasant conversation until it was time for me to take my train back to Forchheim. In Forchheim I found myself meeting up with 3 11th grade girls in an empty, where we were to be seperated by all the other guests and cares of the world as we began playing card games and eating schnitzel for 4 hours. As I came home, snuggled up in my bed while reading my german Brother Grimm fairytales, which I had previously bought a couple of days before... The inside of my head was whispering gently, 'if this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'
This past Sunday, making a day trip to the city of Rothenburg with my host family. Keeping out from the cold and observing all the handcrafted toys and christmas 'kitsch', buying myself a 'Räucherman', my host family buying me a horse candle, and a Schneeball (snowball, treat), Taking in all that the Kriminal Museum (mid evil.. Punishment, or torture, I guess you could say) museum. Which to be honest, was really interesting, but it kind of scared my sweet and innocent soul. Anyways, afterwards I found myself drinking a really good cup of hot chocolate in a cozy and sweet cafe while trying to get along with my host sister. And as I came home, watched the Holiday while getting all teary eyed, I wrote in my journal, 'if this isn't nice, I don't know what is'
and Today, begining with me getting completely over my sickness I had the past week, being able to wear my rainboots and rainjacket due to the Fritzwalter wetter.. on the way to school talking to a nice young girl who had read my article in the newspaper (yes, I was in the newspaper.. as in a whole page) who had previously been an exchange student in Iowa. Later recieving an A from my French teacher, and then giving a birthday present and recieving a most generous hug I have gotten in Germany.
Ending school at 11:25 because I always have 2 periods shorter on Friday. And so with my spare 20 minutes of time before my bus came, I found
myself walking to my own city's weihnachtmarkt. And let me tell you, I had the weirdest experience. As, I was walking down the Hauptstrasse.. Main street, I couldn't help but think I felt like I was in Disneyland.



Okay, maybe I am a bit too dreamy. But, I, being a yearly Disneyland vistor, knows what feelings Disneyland brings off, and these main streets decorated in Christmas lights and all these many weihnachtsmarkts in old German cities definitely bring of some sort of dreamy feelings, like those you would feel at Disneyland... If that's not only me feeling them..
Anyways, after that I met up with the Thomson family in Erlangen, to which we would then travel to the glorious city of Nürnberg to enjoy the World's most famous Weihnachtsmarkt. (which is a bit ironic, due to the fact many Americans, including my formal self, have no idea what a weihnachtsmarkt is).



and then I purchasing these deliciously good almonds, observing all the many booths and rides the market had to offer and doing all, while in the presence of such a sweet family.
Afterwards, eating in a Chinese restaurant in Erlangen to let me finally speak in my mother language, to those closest to my culture as it is going to get.
And as I now type you these words with full intention of truth. 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is'.

McKenna! That looks gorgeous! It kind of reminds me of Disneyland too, but in a homey villagey more natural sort of way (if that even made any sense). It sounds like you're having a lot of fun over there! We need to skype before Christmas! I hope you're doing well, and hopefully I hear from you soon!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love,
Sadie :)