M.C

M.C

Monday, December 26, 2011

Sometimes




I think one ought to always look at ansel adams photos while lying in bed in the most comfortable pyjamas they have ever stepped their bodies into, while listening to the sound of silence (and no.. that was not a Simon and Garfunkel referance in case you were wondering.) and while being covered in sock monkey blanket that their sister quilted for them.
In case you didn't get the hint, that is exactly what I am doing right now. And it feels heavenly. If you haven't tried it, I most definitely recommend it.

so where to start? ahja, the christmas season in Germany. Christmas is literally a 3 day ordeal here. In all honesty, I believe the Germans really know how to celebrate. The 24th was Heilige Abend or christmas eve, if you will. That included opening all our presents that the 'christkind' brought to us, singing 'o du fröliche', repeating prayers (which made me feel kind of weird) and then followed by a 2 course fish meal, following that we found ourselves celebrating later that evening with more family singing stille nacht (silent night) and repeating more prayers and then opening and giving more gifts.
The people drinking more alcahol. Of course.

Sunday, was Christmas (in the States) but the day where we ate another big 3 course lunch. I had wildeschwein, which after translating it I kind of had a weird feeling in my stomach Wildeschwein translates into a boar. Welll, cool, I had boar for christmas, guys. After that, I came home and skyped with my real family in Provo. It was lovely. Everyone was there, and everyone was opening their gifts in front of me. The best present by far, though, was recieving the news that I will be an aunt shortly after I arrive back in the States. I cannot wait.

Today, was the day following christmas which included another big meal. But this time in a pretty fancy resteraunt. What I ate was Kalbshaxe literally translating into Calf joint. Cool. But, it tasted wonderful.. especially the potatoe dumplings over here. I can't get over them.
And that probably proves why I have gained so much weight here.

I helped decorate a weihnachtsbaum. (christmastree) Which apparently are always set up shortly before heiligeabend or the day of and are left until 3 könige tag... 3 kings day and same goes with the manger... Which always seems to be set on the floor, right next to the Christmas tree. I also got to attend my school's christmas concert. Which I found funny they actually called a christmas concert because they hardly played any christmas music... and the singing, the singing. Let me just say, Timpview high school Acappella and Madrigals, you should be proud of yourselves. But, besides from that, the instrumentals were good. Plus, it was in a really pretty church and I got to go into a bar, restaurant afterwards.

Christmas was lovely. Not extremely different than in the U.S.. but definitley had it's differenciating factors.

2 weeks of christmas break. Yesssssssssss YeSSSSSSSSS.







No comments:

Post a Comment