I have pictures... but I am too lazy to actually download and post them on this blog. Actually I will give you one.

Here is me waving to you right now... How does it feel? getting a greeting from McKenna in Germany??
Beyond glorious? I thought so.
Anyways.. What do you wish to know?
The language is tough. I am not sure if I am actually getting better at it. I can understand more for sure and somehow I can write... but speaking it... Agh. Perfect definition for it: Agh. No, it's getting better. It is just really limited.
The food is good. The people are for the most part, good. No, they are wonderful. And I like them.. The language barrier sucks sometimes. But, all is well.
School is good and hard at the same time. English class in 12th and 7th grade German has got to be my favorite though :). I am also taking German and French in the 8th grade... all others in the 10th grade. No, wait, Math and Chemistry in 9th because my german sucks. Geography, Ethics, Sport, Art, music, politics, history in 10th. Trying to get into a routine. But, I am still a bit overwhelmed. And remembering peoples names and faces is even more so confusing. Everyone is so new and they seem to all look the same sometimes. But, they are nice... even if I can not seem to remember their names.
I also take a German course for non native speakers in the neighboring city of Erlangen, 3 times a week... I travel by train and it is pretty neat. I am the youngest one there and one of the 2 Americans. Everyone else comes from all over the world, no kidding. So, that is taking up most of my time.
Fridays I have a dance course. I have only gone to one so far, and I found some fun in it. It's definitely interesting... dancing with a German partner.
After the German course ends then I will for sure join a club. I run in my host parents running club, every Tuesday and Friday. Actually, I injured my leg. So, I haven't ran for a week. But, you get the main point. At least, hopefully. My Grammar is lacking, so bare with me.
I guess I will tell you some stories because I don't exactly know what else to say. Here it goes.
The one thing I never get sick of is having to explain that McKenna is, indeed, my first name and not my last.
For example: What is your name?
McKenna
No, your first name.
McKenna.
But that is a last name..
I know. But, it is my first name in this case.
Will you please write your name down?
Yes, gladly.
..... writing down name......
No, no. It goes first and then last name.
That is my first and last name.
really??? McKenna is your first name?????
Yes.
Is that popular in America? to name kids by last names?
Sure?
Hello, I am McKenna.
When I first read the list, I thought you were a boy!
Oh... thanks.
.... This is all translated by the way.... Thanks parents, for naming me a last name. I go through this almost every single day here.
Here is another story.. Maybe you will find some entertainment in it
Teacher: Will you please give an introduction of yourself?
Me (not understanding what she said): ... blank stare... Ja?
pause...
Teacher: Ehm, did you understand what I said?
McKenna (being stupid and having no idea of what she just said): a little bit.
Teacher: I am going to take that as a no. Will you please give an introduction of yourself? (in English)
Boy: In America, if you shoot a police man you are automatically sentanced to death. And, hanging is still allowed............................
Let's see. I am extremely grateful for such a great host family. I am extremly grateful for all the helpful people at school.. teachers and students.
and I am so grateful for this opportunity. I am learning so much.
This past Sunday my host family took me to Bamberg, and it was astonishing and Monday was even better. Monday was a national holiday for Germany. The reunification day of DDR and West Germany becoming one country again. So, obviously Nürnberg had a race for the holiday and of course because my host parents are runners they decided to run it. I was signed up, but unfortunately, I injured my leg last week and didn't. So, I got to watch. But, that is beside the point I wanted to make. What I wanted to say is, Nürnberg has got to be my favorite city of Germany I've seen so far. So much history and beauty just filling it.
Man, guys, Europe is beautiful. The language is beautiful, hard, but beautiful. The people are interesting and beautiful in their own way. The nature is extraordinary and the buildings, my goodness gracious, amazing. more than amazing, if you were to ask me. And someday I will actually share the pictures with you. Someday... In the near future :) As for now, just imagine the pictures in your mind. I know you can do it. I believe in you!
That is all for today.
McKenna! I miss you like crazy!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I know exactly how you feel with the first name/ last name thing. That happens to me on a regular basis. Except, it's with people that speak my own language...
haha McKenna! You never cease to make me laugh, even when you're halfway across the world! I need your address so I can send you a letter and some goodies! I miss you like crazy my friend with a last name first name. Peace like a river!
ReplyDeleteReading this put a smile on my face (and maybe a laugh too when I got to that boy's comment). I love it!
ReplyDelete